I've tried several of the pizza dough's made with cauliflower and nut flour that can be found on the web and I haven't been happy with any of them. I decided to work on a flour-free cauliflower snack instead. I love the recipe I've come up with. It can be frozen and warmed up for a snack very quickly in the oven. It's a delicious alternative to a piece of bread with a meal and yes, it can even perform well as a pizza dough for a small personal sized pizza. If you wanted to add a couple of tablespoons of nut or garbanzo flour I'm sure it would be even stronger. For myself, I've decided I love the cheesy feel of the recipe without the flour.
So if you're eating paleo (with eggs) or gluten free , or just want a yummy snack without any flour or sugar - here it is.
1 head cauliflower
2 egg whites
1 cup mozzarella cheese ( 8 oz.)
1/8 teas. pepper
1/2 teas. onion powder
2 grated cloves garlic
Optional if using for mini pizza -- 1 Teas. Italian seasoning
Turkey pepperoni or other toppings of choice to put on top for
last 5 minutes of baking.
1. Pre-heat oven to 450.
2. Grate the cauliflower in a blender or with a box grater. You want fine granules about the size of split peas.I do it in my blender in 3 portions so it chops well.
3. Cook the grated cauliflower in a dry skillet, stirring constantly, until it's cooked through and softened, about 5 minutes. Pour it in a bowl to cool.
4. In a food processor or blender mix the remaining ingredients well.
5. Add the cauliflower and blend a minute longer to mix it.
6. Scoop by the tablespoon onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten them to your preferred size. They will be the same size when they're cooked so experiment with your preferred size. I make small ones for cracker-like snacking and slightly bigger ones for mini pizzas.
7. Bake for 10 minutes or until starting to brown, then turn them over. I sometimes flatten them a little more with a paper towel at this point. Cook for another 15-20 minutes until browned. If you're making mini pizzas you can add some additional mozzarella cheese to the top a minute before removing from the oven.
8. If you want to freeze some lay them on a baking pan in the freezer to freeze individually, then wrap several together in foil. To reheat just put them in the oven for 5 minutes at 350.